In case you were unable to join us for our tenth Drawing Together event, here is a recap of the exercises we did together.
Our host was Alex Thomas, GMIC board member, physician, and cartoonist. With his partner Gary Ashwal, Alex creates educational comics for their company, Booster Shot Media.
Our warm-up exercise was a blind contour drawing. They are always fun! Here are the directions: (5 minutes)
- Pick a nearby object
- Fix your eyes on the outline of the object and track the edges with your eyes. At the same time, draw each contour you see very slowly, in a steady, continuous line without lifting the pen/pencil or looking at the paper
Alex then gave us a quick but informative overview about making effective educational comics. He shared several examples that utilize one or more of the following methods:
For our main exercise, we created educational comics about something we have learned in the last few months. Alex led us through the process stepwise, sharing his own example comic-in-process.
You can find more information about Booster Shot Media and see some of Alex’s work at the links below.
Links that emerged from sharing in the chat or from Alex’s introduction:
- Systemic Racism Explained (cartoon)
- How to Make an 8 Page Zine
- Emergent Strategy by adrienne maree brown
- Octavia’s Brood (Black speculative fiction)
- In My Language (on communication)
- The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
- Racism in Medicine Dating Back to Slavery