‘This Week in Graphic Medicine’ highlights news about comics in medicine published during the week (Saturday – Friday). Links are typically presented without commentary, unless clarification of relevance is necessary. So without further ado…
As you may have seen on social media, TWIGM is on a hiatus until after the New Year – I (Matthew) am taking a rest from online life throughout the holiday break. In light of this, you may see a few TWIGM posts by guest authors (yay!) and they may take a different approach.
This Week is brought to you by guest author Talicia Tarver, Research and Education Librarian at VCU Libraries, Tompkins McCaw Library. Talicia has a long history with comics and medicine, including a project to combat childhood obesity (article about it here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5102389). You can follow her on Twitter at @Tillie_T77. Rather than the typical round-up of relevant links, Talicia is providing narrow focus on a topic of the week – check it out below!
Talicia’s Pick of the Week…
This week, I’m highlighting comics created for and by indigenous communities. These comics address the social issues that affect the health and wellbeing of indigenous peoples across the world.
Comic Collection: Moonshot
From Indigenous Story Studio:
A comics publishing platform based in British Colombia, Indigenous Story Studio provides digital comics available for purchase on a variety of subjects, including the following: · Suicide Prevention: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/tomorrows-hope-first-nation-suicide-prevention/
- Maternal and Child Health: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/maternal-child-health-it-takes-a-village/
- Living with FASD: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/living-with-fasd-drawing-hope/
- Diabetes Awareness: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/diabetes-awareness-an-invited-threat/
- Living with Cancer: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/silent-enemy-living-with-cancer/
- Addiction and Foster Care: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/emilys-choice-a-child-protection-story/
- Domestic Violence: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/clear-skies/
- Sexual Health: https://istorystudio.com/portfolio-item/sexual-health-kiss-me-deadly/
Native American Publishing House: Native Realities Press
Native American Comic Supplier: Red Planet Comics and Books
Cons: Indigenous Comic Con
Writers of Note:
Know of any relevant comics, creators, cons, etc. that I missed? Please contact me at email@example.com!