In this month’s episode, MK talks with a panel of guests about the best Graphic Medicine of 2020. The conversation begins with Shelley Wall and Michael Green discussing their article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) about the best graphic medicine of 2020, COVID-19 comics. Then graphic medicine librarians Alice Jaggers and Matthew Noe add their thoughts and further recommendations to the conversation. Finally, the group shares some of their favorite reading from 2020, graphic medicine and beyond. Listen below or subscribe to the Graphic Medicine podcast. Scroll down for links to all books and projects mentioned in the episode.
General 2020 Reading Recommendations:
Books and projects mentioned in the episode
- “Be Aware of Droplets and Bubbles” by Argha Manna, MSc https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/G20-0114
- Pandemic work of Gemma Correll – for example, “Creativity in Captivity” https://thenib.com/creativity-in-captivity/
- In/Vulnerable produced by TheNib and Reveal, art by Thi Bui https://thenib.com/in-vulnerable/
- Myrtle.Infertile IVF experiences during COVID https://www.instagram.com/myrtle.infertile/
- Webinar with Ned Barnett and Maria Phokan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM35c_-3nLg&feature=emb_logo
- Nathan Gray’s Instagram https://www.instagram.com/inkvessel/
- Alice Jaggers’s Blog https://alicejaggers.wordpress.com/
- New Podcast Episode: Kimiko Tobimatsu and Keet Geniza on Kimiko Does Cancer https://www.graphicmedicine.org/new-podcast-episode-kimiko-tobimatsu-and-keet-geniza-on-kimiko-does-cancer/
- Hot Flash Inc newsletter https://www.hotflashinc.com
- MK Czerwiec comics based on Hot Flash Inc resources (scroll down) https://comicnurse.com/book/menopause/
- Oh Joy, Sex Toy https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/ (Attn: 18+ website)
- On Being podcast episode with Resmaa Menakem with Krista Tippett https://onbeing.org/programs/resmaa-menakem-notice-the-rage-notice-the-silence/
Two late additions:
The Nib’s Pandemic Issue is available for order now.
And! Menopause: A Comic Treatment was selected by the New York Times as one of the Best Graphic Novels of 2020! 😁
This podcast is recorded and uploaded by MK Czerwiec. It is mixed and produced by Alice Jaggers. It is generously sponsored by the Penn State College of Medicine, Department of Humanities, the nation’s oldest Humanities Department within a medical school, pioneers of innovations in medical education since 1967. To learn more about Penn State College of Medicine Department of Humanities, go to www2.med.psu.edu/humanities.